Feb 24, 2020
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies
The Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies is a 42-course, 126-credit degree. It is not designed to overlap with existing degrees but rather to provide qualified students with an academic program that meets their unique needs. Offering students flexibility, independence, and academic rigor, this option provides undergraduate adult learners with the opportunity to draw on the resources of the entire curriculum, across disciplines while building an academic focus in areas they find most important.
Concentration in Homeland Security Studies
The Homeland Security Studies Concentration is a 6 course, 18 credit specialization that focuses on issues relevant to corporate, national and global security. This is an interdisciplinary specialization that focuses on student’s ability to assess risk and engage in critical thinking about conflict and security. This concentration will give students writing, research and foundational skills in Homeland Security that they will need to work in the securities field, border patrol, emergency management or to pursue a graduate degree in Homeland Security.
The Concentration in Homeland Security will be open to all students enrolled in our BA Program in Liberal Studies and our BS Programs in Psychology, Criminal Justice and Business Management. These concentration courses will replace corresponding open elective credit requirements.
Upon completion of the program, students will:
- Effectively communicate in writing and through oral communication
- Demonstrate the critical inquiry and analysis skills needed to engage constructively in intellectual discourse within the concentration
- Recall and apply the basic foundational knowledge of educational studies as delivered through the Baccalaureate Core
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of the field of education including the areas of historic and current trends, assessment, special needs, psychology and technology
- Design, execute, and present a personal project, which synthesizes and applies, selected knowledge, skills and experiences appropriate to the students’ personal and professional goals and/or their chosen area of specialization
In addition to fulfilling the outcomes of the Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies program, students completing the concentration in Homeland Security Studies will:
- Comprehend the interdisciplinary field of Homeland Security and the complex political, cultural and legislative issues that are required to protect the homeland and respond to disasters
- Implement processes that strengthen project management, evaluation, and accountability within the homeland security directorate
- Identify and describe research issues relevant to existing and emerging homeland security challenges
- Assess current and future homeland security risks and opportunities
- Demonstrate the critical thinking, writing and research skills that are necessary to participate in the homeland security field
World Cultures Course - 3 cr.
Aesthetic Awareness & Creative Expression Course - 3 cr.
Literary Perspectives Course - 3 cr.
Individual and Society Course - 3 cr.
Values & Ethical Reasoning Course - 3 cr.
Science & Technology Course - 3 cr.
Global Issues Course - 3 cr.
Liberal Studies Elective* - 3 cr.
Core Electives - 6 cr. (must be 300 level or higher)
Open Electives - 45 cr. (at least two 300 level or higher)
*Liberal Studies Electives
Foreign Language Course - 3 cr.
Required Concentration Courses
Total Number of Credits Required for Concentration - 18 credits
Total Degree Requirements - 126 credits