Jun 24, 2018
Curriculum Requirements - Total Credits Required: 127
Sophomore - Credits: 35
- Individual and Society General Education Requirement (Cr: 3)
- Quantitative Reasoning General Education Requirement (Cr: 3)
- Science and Technology General Education Requirement (Cr: 3)
- Art Elective (Cr: 3)
Junior - Credits: 30
- Global Issues General Education Requirement (Cr: 3)
- Literary Perspectives General Education Requirement (Cr: 3)
- World Cultures General Education Requirement (Cr: 3)
- Graphic Design Elective (Cr: 3)
- General Education Elective (Cr: 3)
Senior - Credits: 30
- Values and Ethical Reasoning General Education Requirement (Cr: 3)
- Grpahic Design or Photography Elective (Cr: 3)
- General Education Electives (Cr: 6)
Upon completion of the graphic design program, students will:
- Demonstrate the critical inquiry and analysis skills needed to engage constructively in intellectual discourse within the art fields.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and competency with tools and technology, including their roles in the creation, reproduction and distribution of visual messages.
- Demonstrate a strong handling of perceptual skills in drawing.
- Experience the relationship of academic studio practices to professional applications.
- Discuss and write about the historical context for the visual arts.
- Communicate effectively in written form within the conventions of the discipline.
- Describe and respond to audiences and contexts, including recognition of physical, cognitive, cultural and social human factors that shape design decisions.
- Create and develop a meaningful visual form using the principles of visual organization/composition, information hierarchy, and aesthetics.
- Demonstrate an understanding of design history, theory, and criticism from a variety of perspectives.
- Clearly and concisely articulate design concepts, solutions and rationale.
- Demonstrate willingness to go beyond original parameters of assignment, introducing new materials and forms, including tackling controversial topics.
- Integrate creativity and vision in pursuing thought-provoking visual design concepts using typography, symbolic representation, and color.
- Deconstruct concepts, applying and carrying them out in a sophisticated and unique visual solution.